The following is a very brief Q&A of The FA & FIFA Regulations, for a more detailed
analysis please consider the Full Regulations.
Use of Agents
- Is a Player or Club required to instruct an Agent in negotiations? No
- If a Player or Club intends to use an Agent, must that Agent be an
Young Football Players
- Can an Agent approach Players under the age of 16 years? No
- Can an Agent sign up a Player between 16 years and 18 years without the written contract
countersigned by the Player’s parent or guardian? No
- Does an Agent need to have a written contract before any representation of a Player or Club? Yes
- Does that contract need to be signed by the parties and registered with the FA within 5 days of signing? Yes
- Before signing a contract, must a Player be given a reasonable opportunity to seek independent
legal advice? Yes
- Can Agents offer any inducements to Players as an incentive to sign? No
- Is the maximum duration of a Player’s contract with an Agent 2 years? Yes
- Can this contract be renewed by mutual consent? Yes
Avoid Conflicts of Interest
- Can an Agent act for both Player and Club in the negotiations? Yes under certain circumstances.
- Can an Agent act for a “new” Club in relation to a Player if the Agent acted for the Player within the previous 2 transfer widows? No as this is designed to prevent switching.
- Can an Agent acting for a Club involving a Player act for the same Player in the next contract involving that Player or for a period of two transfer windows? No as this is designed to prevent shadowing.
Payments to Agents
- Do payments on behalf of the Club to an Agent have to be made direct to The FA with supporting documentation? Yes
- Does an Agent have to notify The FA of all payments received or made within 5 days of completing the work? Yes
- Can an Agent acting for Players only be paid by the Player? Yes, but Clubs may pay on behalf of the Player providing it is deducted from the Player’s wages.